Monday, April 25, 2011

Tenth Blog: What I learned about exercise

What I thought I knew: Remember when you were told there would be a test of your physical ability? In the late 1960's, this included counting how many sit-ups and push-ups you could do in a specified time. Since that was the only time we did these two exercises, naturally, I was not very good. Actually, I wasn't very good a kickball, playing on the "rings," dodge ball or running. I was good at kick-the-can, a version of hide-and-seek, handball on the garage door, riding my bike everywhere (a Raleigh 3-speed), three-flys-up (actually, I sucked at that), Red Rover, climbing trees, hiking and swimming in the backyard pool. This was before organized sports were so popular and available for girls. Yes, the boy across the street played football in grade school, but I was only a cheerleader with his sister for one game.

When I was in Junior High, for some reason, every year, we played volleyball. This was not the organized sport my daughter's played. There were no after school sports for the girls and I don't even know if the boys had any opportunities. I wasn't paying attention. I enjoyed volleyball at summer camp and in my parent's yard after they got a sturdy net. I hated phys ed, especially when I had to purchase a uniform before 7th grade (shorts and top) and was forced to talk my mother into letting me buy a bra so I would not be totally embarrassed in the girls gym. I was embarrassed anyway. Whoever thought that taking kids who dressed in private at home, showered alone and decided to put them in an awkward social situation like a locker room must have been fully developed, had a perfect body, perfect hair, and been raised in a communal situation.

Enough about adolescence. We did not run for exercise or ride our bikes for exercise or work out. Working out was for Olympic athletes who lifted weights. We played, we camped and hiked, we skied, we \WALKED TO SCHOOL, we walked to our friend's homes and we went outside until dinner and then stayed outside playing after dinner until it got dark and then begged our parents for more time. When I was in high school, I actually used my asthma to get out of some of the P.E. classes. By then, I had noticed that the boys had much cooler stuff to do in gym, including playing baseball and football. I had a one-piece uniform, royal blue, shorts attached to a top, and we were required to "take a shower" twice a semester to pass the class. I don't remember any extra-curricular sports available for girls, except for swimming. My locker mate swam, giving her excellent shoulders and a chance to see more of her boyfriend.

As a young adult, I did not exercise at all. I went to college, got caught cheating on the written exam in the required P.E. course, took it again with the same grade and never did the required running. I will probably never run. About this time, the late 1970's or early 1980's Jim Fixx began the running revolution and a market for exercise clothing and running shoes was born. I wore Keds (cloth sneakers) growing up. (I also wore orthopedic saddle shoes in white until the 7th grade because I had high arches. Still do. Have high arches that is.) It wasn't until the mid to late 1970's that you could purchase an athletic shoe. Gradually, working out became popular, thanks in part probably to Arnold the Govenator, I mean the Terminator Schwarzenegger. It became reasonable to spend time in the gym, and people found a new use for steroids.

I did not watch the Olympics until the early 1980's. Sure, I went to baseball games (go Giants) and I think I went to a Ram's game with my dad when Joe Namath was playing, but that is sports, not exercise. Meanwhile, gym memberships became popular and sprung up like coffee shops did in Seattle. I moved to Boise with my then husband and resumed the camping thing, with only gardening for exercise. We brought our first daughter with us (nice, huh?) and she was followed by two more daughters. Nobody can keep up with the all day movement of toddlers. Just try to do everything they do and then you will probably need a nap and a blankie. We went to the parks and the kids ran all over the place and up and down and climbed and played. It was exhausting for me, watching them and worrying about potential injury. 

When my daughters got into grade school, they all, in turn, played in the semester games and ran in the races.  Where was this when I was a child? My middle daughter in particular could really run fast. Also, they attended summer basketball camp at the grade school, and at the final game, the parents were totally creamed by the soon-to-be 6th graders.My daughters all played volleyball and basketball in junior high, and the middle daughter ran track, taking the Boise City title in her event, the 800 meter run. I miss attending their games, sitting on uncomfortable bleachers and waiting forever for the girls to get in the car. In the mid 1990's, after my husband moved out, I still weighed close to my high school weight and I would go dancing on weekends when the kids were with him. I was in pretty good shape, and had not yet begun to realize middle age.

What I know now: In the fall of 2008, after I had reached my 50's I decided to try exercise. I knew that I had no stamina for skiing and for any other recreation. I was overweight, had high blood pressure and high cholesterol, although that was inherited. I was referred to a personal trainer, now a good friend, who put me through the routines three times a week. By the following spring, when I traveled to Ecuador to visit a daughter attending school abroad in Quito, I was quite able to keep up with the guides when we hiked around in the jungle. (Your mother, she is very strong......) I have continued to meet with the trainer three times a week and have added some cardio (riding my stationary bike). I have learned to say "cardio" and "resistance work" and "triceps, biceps, gluts, abs, obliques, etc." I can do 400 bicycles at a time and 56 push-ups in a row. I can do sit-ups without someone standing on my toes (thanks for the tip from a friend) up to 50 at at time when pushed, and I don't get out of breath when I am skiing. My recovery time is quicker after a grueling run downhill through the powder and I drink a lot of water. I have learned to stretch to avoid future pain and I believe that working out three times a week and cardio three times a week is the insurance policy that will enable me to attend the marriages of any grandchildren. If I get any.

HEY! Now I have a waist-line, something that had gradually disappeared in my 40's. I have shapely legs and arms-and except for being sore, I plan to keep exercising. Yes, it's a pain in the neck. The older you get, the more you have to move to keep fit, but I'd like to be here for the next day and the next season and the next adventure.

2 comments:

Kelly Ruwe said...

So enjoyed this. Keep up the good work outs. You're way ahead of the curve. Most figure this out way too late.

paula m said...

Glad that your vocabulary includes "gluts"! A Freudian slip???