Friday, December 2, 2011

20th Blog: What I thought I knew about Christmas Letters

What I thought I knew: My parents wrote extensive Christmas Letters and enclosed them in suitable Christmas cards. They were a report on the year of the family, what each of us has accomplished and where we spent our vacation. They sent out multiple cards, and it was a chore to get them all addressed and stamped. We in turn received many Christmas cards, which my mother would display in various ways, depending on the year. They would be set out on the piano, or attached to ribbons and strung in banner form from the ceiling and sometimes, set upon a ribbon or piece of yard, balanced by resting on the interior fold of the card. At least, that's how I remember the cards. We also made Advent Calendars from prior year's cards - pasted like doorways over the appropriate bible verse.

When I was married (late 1970's,) I began the tradition again. I can recall when my list of recipients was around 100 people. Having to do this chore by myself made me appreciate my mother's impatience with my father. Or maybe, she was just impatient anyway.... I searched every December for cards that were not too religious, unless I liked the picture. I looked for cards with humor and whose interior message was not too pointed. Eventually, I began looking for politically correct messages about "the holidays" instead of Christmas. Because I'm Lutheran, I occasionally feel nostalgic and send a card that mentions the birth of Christ and the miracle of forgiveness. Besides, my father was great at celebrations, so it sometimes feels good to mention Christmas.

Over the years, I have enjoyed letters enclosed in holiday cards (yea, even Christmas cards...) from friends and families. I really like the year by year photos of friends, detailing how their children have changed and grown. I look forward to reading how everyone has spent their year, and what they did on vacation. I too include those details. Sometimes, my letters struggle to remain only one page and sometimes I get them printed to I can cut the paper in half and still have both sides printed. Computers have helped immensely. I can print up my own letter, review it over and over and still have a chance to fix a sentence or a word. It's all about the nuance. Sometimes I've been so busy with holiday events and career, I've sent letters after Christmas is over. This allows me to include thank you notes:  two cards with one stamp!

What I have learned about Christmas Letters:  I still enjoy receiving and sending this journal of my life and the lives of people I know and love. I have come to view my letters as personal missives, to be forwarded to everyone who I care about. I try not to make them too long, and I try to mention everyone who is immediately important to me. Like myself when my father managed to mention his children during a sermon, I manage to mention my children, even when they don't spend much time at home or have moved away and gotten married. As if they couldn't report themselves!!! I try not to overstep my boundaries. I don't report anything awful, although, sometimes I do embarrass them.

I love having the opportunity to use the computer for this. Hey! I could email my letter to everyone with photos attached! (*wait: is that Facebook?) My sister Kathy sends silly letters every year. They detail what her animals have done and she sometimes fibs about events and people. Since I already know what happened, I really enjoy reading her tales. My college roommate Beth sends photos of her daughters every year. They have grown into beautiful college graduates. My friend Mark has already sent his Christmas letter for 2011 (I got it yesterday) and it sounds like his life is truly wonderful at this time. (*wait: maybe Christmas letters are my version of Facebook updates, only one per year!)

Since it is December, I must think about a letter for this year. It must include the things I'm proud to have completed or attended or visited or shared this year. It must include a shout-out to my children and significant others. It might talk about my career, my yard or my choice of cereal, (no longer Cheerios). I have to shop through my cupboards for past Christmas cards that were leftover. I will use them, as I have a mixed collection. Besides, none of you will remember what card I sent last year.... I still have a box of all the Christmas cards I've gotten for the past 20 or so years, maybe 30 years? Some get packed every year with the Christmas ornaments. Perhaps next year, I'll have an Advent Calendar making party. Bring cookies!

1 comment:

Paula said...

I love the pictures. Especially as people seem to have moved away. And who doesn't like a mailbox with happiness inside?